We live in an extremely male dominated society and our movies are a reflection of that society. Going by this definition we shouldn’t wonder why our films have always portrayed women as “Abla Naari”. So it’s given they were to say dialogues like “Bhagwan ke liye mujhe chhod do” and all. That was not it!
Our strong ladies were also portrayed as “Sanskari Ladki”. A girl who listens to parents, sings bhajans, bear the humiliation and husband’s torture and says “Mera Pati mera devta hai”. Thankfully, the time has changed now!
Today’s women are much more liberated, modern, and speaks her own mind. And that’s reflected in today’s film too. With movies like Piku, Tumhari Sulu, Padman, Pink, Queen, Chak De India!!, English Vinglish and of course Dangal, the picture is changing. This year too you can witness some power back performances of finest actresses of our time.
What’s more? Now, you can watch these amazing movies at a reduced price. Save on movie tickets with Bookmyshow discount coupons! So let’s take a look at what you must watch this year:
Time to see the magnificent Alia Bhatt back on the big screen with the upcoming movie Razzi. The film is an adaptation of novel named “Sehmat”. The book is directed by Meghna Gulzar and produced by Karan johar.
- Story Line: The story is about a kashmiri girl who marries a pakistani officer. The backdrop is of Indo-Pak war of 1971.
- Lead Cast: Alia bhatt, Vicky Kaushal
- Release Date: 11 May 2018
2. Veere Di Wedding
We have seen lots of “Male buddy” movies like Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, Dil Chahta Hai and lots more. It’s time to see a “female buddy” movie. Yes, the much talked about film Veere di wedding is an Indian Female buddy comedy movie.
- Story Line: It’s about the rich and happening relationship of the four amazing ladies which prepare for the wedding of the year
- Star Cast: Sonam Kapoor, Kareena Kapoor, Swara Bhaskar, Shikha Talsania and Sumeet Vyas
- Release Date: 18th May 2018
Remember Mardaani? A film that has given the power back performance of Rani Mukherjee? The lady is backed by another strong character in the upcoming film “ Hichki” The film is the remake of the Hollywood film, First of the Class.
- Story Line: The film is about the teacher who struggles from a syndrome: Tourette. The story unfolds how despite that she fulfill her teaching dream and earn respect and love of her students.
- Lead Star cast: Rani Mukherjee
- Release date: 23rd March 2018
4. Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi
Kangana Ranaut needs now introduction! The lady has proved her acting talent time and again. This is why even in a flop film like Rangoon her acting was enormously appreciated by critics. So the lady is back with another power back performance this year in Manikarnika. Along with the actresses, the film is also a treat to watch massive war scenes of that time.
- Story Line: As the name suggests the film is about the brave life Rani Laxmi Bai of Jhansi and how she become “Khoob Ladi Mardani Woh Toh Jhansi Wali Rani Thi”
- Lead Cast: Kangana Ranaut
- Release date: 27 April 2018
5. Fanney khan
The duo of Aishwarya rai bachchan and anil kapoor will be back after many years on the big screen. But this time not as a lover, but as “Father-daughter”. Their upcoming film is a remake of oscar nominated film “EveryBody’s Famous”.
- Story Line: The film is about a struggling singer who tries to make his daughter earn a big name in the music world.
- Star cast: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Rajkumar Rao and Anil Kapoor
- Release Date: 13 july 2018
6. 3 Storeys
With a power back performance in Gangs Of Wasseypur, Masson, and Fukrey, Richa chadda showed that she is here to stay. Her choice of roles, the fierce attitude, and powerful performance has made her a brand today. So this year, the lady is coming with another brilliant performance in 3 Storeys.
- Story Line: 3 Storey is story woven around the “chawal” life with lots of twists and turns that reveals that life in this small community is not as quiet as it seems. Richa will be seen playing a pivotal character in the film with a mysterious edge.
- Star Cast: Richa Chadha, Pulkit Samrat, Sharman Joshi, Renuka Shahane, Ankit Rathi, Aisha Ahmed, Sunny Singh Nijjar
- Release date: 9th March 2018
There’s hardly anyone who hasn’t heard about Sairat. This Marathi film was super successful and widely acclaimed in 2016. Dhadak is a hindi remake of this marathi movie which is set in Rajasthan.
- Story Line: A romantic emotional love story of two different personalities and castes who fall in love. But their relationship falls prey in the vicious trap of casteism.
- Star Cast: Jhanvi Kapoor ( daughter of Late Sri Devi) and Ishaan Khattar
- Release Date: 6 July 2018
8. Mental Hai Kya
Mental Hai Kya, a psychological thriller film that will hit the screens in 2018. The movie will release at the end of the year, so there’s time left for the trailer to come. However, the Makers of the film have released 3 posters of the film. After which the film has started creating a lot of buzz and sensation. For film lovers, this film will be a treat due to the lead roles played by 2 finest actors of our time: Rajkumar Rao and Kangana Ranaut.
- Story Line: A psychological thriller film
- Star cast: Rajkumar Rao and Kangana Ranaut
- Release Date: End of 2018
These are just some of the films that will shine this year. However, as the month pass, we will explore many more strong female characters in 2018. So stay tuned for all latest news and updates!